Pages

Monday 29 June 2020

Matariki Day!

Maori new year - celebrating what ?

In the sky around night time there are 7 stars out on Matariki day, you can also see them clearly. The 7 stars are representing the seven sisters, Traditional Matariki was used to determine the coming seasons crop.  The 7 sisters names are Tupu a nuku, Tupu a rangi, Waiti, Waita, Wai puna rangi, and Ururangi.

Last week on friday my school celebrated Matariki. There were groups of Cooking,Sports,Arts & Crafts, and many much more, I was in the group cooking with my teacher's Mrs Tele'a and Mr Huse. My favourite highlight of Matariki was baking the cup cakes with my friend Zoe, Zoe and I got the chance to finally bake some nice cup cakes.

New Zealand should celebrate Matariki because the 7 sisters are really important. Matariki provides an ideal opportunity to explore the ways that people pass on and sustain aspect of their culture and heritage. Matariki is a time of growth and change, Matariki is the Maori name for a star constellation that rises up into the sky in mid-winter.




2 comments:

  1. Talofa lava,Malo e lelei and other greetings Leylani. It's Zoe. I really love your Matariki post that you did I can really tell you know a lot about Matariki. It was really fun doing the cupcakes with you on Friday I had a lot of fun. I also loved when you were so confuse and didn't know how to make the stars until I helped you. I just loved it. I love your work and keep the hard work going.
    Kindly regards
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Haha yea I was so confused!> But thank you for commenting on my blog and also a big thanks to you for helping me on friday!!

      Lani :)

      Delete

Hi - Leylani would love you to leave her a comment on this post. If you know how to do this, go right ahead. If you would like some help, watch this video

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.